On Air: Simon Davies

Listen Live

Posted on by Phil Munns

A father from Great Sutton has thanked the Cheshire firefighter who helped save his son's life.

Scott Purchase was looking after three-month-old Henry on his own for the very first time when he stopped breathing on February 13.

The Chef ran outside the house on Saltersgate in Great Sutton in panic where he found Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service’s Jason James who just happened to be passing.

Jason, 47, said: “I was just passing by in a station vehicle when the distraught dad Scott came out of the house with baby Henry and flagged me down.

“He told me Henry wasn’t choking but had stopped breathing so I told him to turn his baby onto his front, hold him in one arm and then pat his back.

“Henry responded and started to cry and I then called for an ambulance.

“While I was on the phone to the ambulance service Henry stopped breathing several times, but the same procedure led to him breathing again on each occasion.”

Scott, 29, says he cannot thank Jason enough for his timely intervention.

“I was excited about looking after Henry by myself for the first time, but when he stopped breathing it was undoubtedly the scariest moment of my life.

“I was very lucky that the firefighter Jason James was passing by. He basically saved my son’s life.

“He knew what to do and came into the house, called the ambulance and talked me through the CPR.

“He was also able to calm me down as I was in a bit of a flap.

“I am eternally grateful for what he did that day. I could never repay him, and the same goes for the ambulance staff for getting to our house so quickly.”

Daisy, 31, who dashed home from work when Scott called her to say that their only child had stopped breathing and turned up as paramedics were treating Henry, said: “The hospital believes it was a case of silent reflux, whereby milk comes back up the oesophagus causing the epiglottis (a flap that prevents food/liquid going down windpipe) to close off momentarily, meaning that the baby is unable to breathe.

“They advised us to reduce Henry’s milk intake, ensure that he doesn’t drink it too fast and to keep him upright so that the milk goes straight down.

“Henry went into hospital at noon and was home by 8pm and has been fine ever since.”

Part of the DEE RADIO GROUP.


Web Design By Roodee Creative, Chester

Web Design By Roodee Creative, Chester